Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Blew out my flip flop....stepped on a pop top

    This photo was taken 2 years ago during our first annual Cousins reunion in Marco Island. I had not  seen my cousins in 5 years. It was as if no time had passed. We only spent the day but it was an
 amazing time. You know when you have people in your life that just make you happy being in their
company? That is my Vegas family. We did not know then that this short visit would be the
beginning of a very important tradition.


This photo was taken last year in Fort Lauderdale. Thanks to hurricane Ian this trip almost did not happen. Marco Island was hit hard and my cousins were coming from Vegas and Philly so the logistics were a bit challenging, but we did it! Although we were all only together for 3 days it was another period of rejuvination for my soul. It was once again just so easy to be together and we picked up where we left off! My daughter looks at her 3 cousins as additional siblings and the bantering and and connection is really so amazing to see.  She is not someone who shows her true personality to many people but Machew, Bubba J and Ryguy definitely see the true Lulu. I love watching it. We stayed in a hotel this trip and it was more challenging (connecting rooms apparently mean the same hallway in Ft. Lauderdale) but we made it work and had a blast. From being surrounded by fish in the ocean to closing the pool bar down, this was an amazing trip! We vowed to make it an annual thing!

 This photo was taken yesterday once again in Marco Island.  Our 3rd annual family reunion.  It was by 
far the best one yet! We left feeling rejuvenated in a way that only happens when you are with people that truly love and accept you. It was as if we were together every day. You know those times when you laugh so hard you cannot breathe? A few of us actually had headaches from laughing too much. It was so needed for me. There are very few people in my life that make me feel like I can just be myself and not worry about the aftermath. My cousins are these people to me. It was so relaxing and easy and just fun! We are able to have those tough talks about big issues and then laugh until we cry (literally-there was snorting!). How blessed am I to have this in my life? And how fabulous to see my daughter be 100 percent unapologetically herself and be embraced for it. Uncle K and Aunt R are exactly what Lulu needed at this time in life, so it was not just me that needed it.  And my nephews, Machew, Bubba J and Ryguy are 3 of my favorite people in the world.  They are so easy to be with and I can talk to them about anything and I love watching them grow into the incredible men they are becoming.  We are already looking forward to next year!  

This trip has shown me how important it is to be around people you love and how important it is to maintain those connections.  Rockin R and I have made a point of catching up with a phone call at least once a month and I look forward to those calls so much.  I drove home last night feeling lighter than I have in a very long time.  I fell into bed physically exhausted yet emotionally alive in the best possible way.  I am so very very grateful to have this to look forward to every year and have these 5 people in my life....it makes me feel joy.  My absolute favorite emotion.  And having that joy makes me know there is more on the way and I am excited for it.  Life is what you make it ---so let's make it right.  It is too short to be stuck in unhappiness, or the day to day blahs that become your normal way of life.  Every day is NOT just a day in the life --- it is what you make it and for me?  I am choosing joy....and whenever I can I will do something that makes me feel that----every day in the life.



No comments: